Rosie Perez

Rosie Perez was born to Lydia Perez (a merchant marine) in Bushwick, Brooklyn. She is Puerto Rican. Rosie went to Grover Cleveland High School in Ridgewood, Queens, New York and then enrolled in Los Angeles City College in Los Angeles, California. Rosie Perez, who was in her second college year and was planning to move to New York. Her friends had invited her to an elopement party. Spike Lee offered her a part in his film Do The Right Thing (1989). She accepted. This would be her first major role as an actor. She was to play the character Carla Rodrigo in Peter Weir's Fearless (1993) in which she received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. (She was defeated by Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993).) A lot of the criticism I received in the beginning of my career came coming from the Latin community. I can remember people taking me out to lunch and saying to me "Can you attend lessons to help you tone down the accent?" Or, "When it's a talk show, how could you not be funny? People gave me so much crap about my voice, and I tried. It was my voice that I didn't want to change. Thank Godthat my octaves decreased as I got older. It's all about taking on your fears head-on. It's about being confident. Floyd Mayweather could get punched by a straight punch in the middle to his face - and he'd not even flinch. I can understand what he is doing. (Who talked about Don Cornelius watching her dancingThen he said: Don Cornelius didn't want to watch me dance - I was doing hip hop that was unfamiliar to Californians. They were only comfortable with locking and popping, so hip-hop dancing was not something they were looking to master. Don was as if, "No. You're a girl." I was like, "What? This is very strange. This is truly bizarre.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yvonne Joyce Craig

Camila Cabello Biography

Lauren Ash